vs. Rangers 7/3/14

nevadaO

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> lineup vs Texas <a href="http://t.co/opn7dy3fVv">pic.twitter.com/opn7dy3fVv</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Game may or may not get in tonight with weather over OPACY right now.

Rangers:

Shin-Soo Choo DH

Elvis Andrus SS

?lex R?os RF

Adri?n B?ltre 3B

Leonys Mart?n CF

Chris Gim?nez C

Carlos Pe?a 1B

Michael Choice LF

Rougned Odor 2B

Yu Darvish RHP

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's a little wet here at Camden Yards. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/masnOrioles?src=hash">#masnOrioles</a> <a href="http://t.co/biXAo2yAir">pic.twitter.com/biXAo2yAir</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's a little wet here at Camden Yards. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/masnOrioles?src=hash">#masnOrioles</a> <a href="http://t.co/biXAo2yAir">pic.twitter.com/biXAo2yAir</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

If the wind cooperates there is a decent size window that could get the game in. But it doesnt look promising.

lol thats kinda funny

It would have been funnier if he hadn't announced it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Going with Tommy Tutone lineup today: 8-6-7-5-3-0-9.</p>— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) <a href="

It would have been funnier if he hadn't announced it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Going with Tommy Tutone lineup today: 8-6-7-5-3-0-9.</p>— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) <a href="

I seriously didn't see that! That's REALLY funny!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Westburg in LF would at least make room for a Gunnar-Holliday-Mayo infield. If he could turn into a CF that would be a bonus. 
    • This is against a LHP so I’ll cut him some slack but I believe he’s also in this position against RHP.   Look where his but is and look how far he has to reach, off balance, just to get the end of his bat to reach the outside corner. The problem, as I see it, and @OnlyOneOriole has touched on, is he does the leg lift and his first move is to open that hip instead of staying closed towards the pitcher.  The hip and butt are out.  He can still do damage on inner half stuff but he loses all his leverage when he has to reach for stuff on the outer half and he’s almost totally vulnerable to outside corner.   
    • Anyone remember Ken Levine?   He was Kevin Brown before Kevin Brown was born, with the pop culture references and that type of sense of humor. He was a longtime TV writer who had written episodes of M*A*S*H among other things but he dreamed of being a MLB radio PBP guy, and the Orioles gave him that chance for a year or so... maybe around 1990????    I don't recall him being a bad announcer, but nothing is really memorable about him after all this time except for him always trying to be funny.
    • What about year round workouts? Trying to maximize velocity? I agree the per game standards have been harsher but years ago in the winter baseball kids were playing basketball, resting etc. Now they have indoor workouts tweaking mechanics. 
    • Jon Miller and Joe Angel belong in the O's Hall Of Fame.  I guess Gary Thorne deserves to be in, I'm sorry I didn't care for him!  He got excited if either team had a key hit or play, and he was big on statistics.  He may be better than what we have today!
    • The Brewers' starter last night was lefty Rob Zastryzny.   I guess an opener, he went one inning.   He was in camp one year with the O's but didn't ever pitch for us, major or minors.   He's 32 years old and his inning last night means he has pitched in the majors 7 out of the last 9 years... for a grand total of 60.1 MLB innings.
    • When you’re thinking of building a statistical model to project success of a major league player, one thing you want to avoid is uncertainty. You need your variables to be predictable and applicable across a swath of data. When you look at pitching, the top arms today, don’t think of the outliers like Paul Skenes, instead look at what round they were drafted related to their current talent level. You will see a great number drafted not in the first three rounds.    Frankly, there are too many uncontrollable variables on the the road to pitcher success at the major league level. Theres injuries, there’s incorrect coaching, there’s incorrect application on the player to adequate coaching, etc.  A smarter team, which we thankfully are, realizes that not striking out on any of your draft picks is much more of a positive than drafting for a need, specifically pitching. Just look at Carter Baumler for example. He was drafted ahead of Mayo, has already incurred injury and no realistic timetable to be a viable major league pitcher. In short, it’s best to have the trade pieces of viable players to go out and pitchers that need a small change in stance, or coaching or environment to be truly great. We’ve seen that time and time again with Coulombe, Cano, Perez, the mountain, etc. Let the other teams take the gamble and strike out/give up on players, then sweep them up and strike gold.
  • Popular Contributors